Sunday, October 7, 2007

SO much to say, so little time

Habari zu Mchana! My goodness I have such little time and so much to say. The internet has not been working so I have not been able to get online.. it sucks! So.. I am going to try and recap this last week. This week has been one of the most educational, eye-opening weeks of my life. I have been doign the language and culture course and tomorrow I make my way up to Arusha to start my projects. They switched my projects so I start the HIV tomorrow not the orphange. It will be very interesting!

Ok so... I have finally been able to come out of the culture shock. Things are still shocking but I almost cannot remember what went on a few days ago because it is almost a blur. I have seen almost ALL of Dar Es Salaam and learned so much from each place. So, after my first night things got a little easier. I was able to learn the dynamics of living in a hostel. Njo is the cook and she has been preparing our meals. The food is um..... not the best. It is called ugali and it looks like sticky porrage. I don't know how to spell that but it has no flavor and you eat it with your hands. If you order fish, its the WHOLE fish. Chicken, looks like it still can cluck. Its not wonderful but I stick to the steamed rice and beans.

I'm all jumbled and trying to recap. Wednesday night was incredible. Mali and Kukunkunku are two guys that do the safaris and they work with Global Crossroads...very sweet and informative. They invited us to go dancing with the locals. You can only imagine 4 white girls in east Africa with the locals. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's all i have to say. It was amazing though. We were driving there at about 8 00 and everyone is on the streets. The daladalas are still jam packed and life never stops. So we get to the bar and everyone is so welcoming. The dancing is nothing like American dancing. I can't describe it but I looked terrible and laughed the WHOLE time. It was quite comical. The whole experience was such an honor. It was great to see happy people among all the depressing things here. They were the most friendly and encouraging individuals I have ever met. Mali talked about serious issues like AIDS and tribal traditions. It blew my mind. I feel guilty now for being completely naive about what really goes on in other places. It is unbelieveable. It is even more unbelievable that I am able to see it with my own eyes... i feel completely honored.

So this whole week has been language lessons and site seeing. I havent done much helping yet. This week is strictly for us to learn the culture and see the tourist spots. So.. I have seen some really cool things! We went downtown. The only way I can describe it is people everywhere, beggars, crippled, banks, cell phones, babies, and no driving laws. it was a sight to see. We went to the fish market and the stench was so bad i literally was trying to hold my puke. I bought an awesome game called BAO. It is kind of like mancala but better. All the locals play is and I am a pro. I amproud to say thatno one can beat me! ha...its great. :>

Yoctan is our teacher and now is our friend. We made him a thank you card and just gave it to him. When I think about saying goodbye it brings me to tears. I would do anything for him to see what America is like. He is so curious to learn and he is VERY intelligent. Also, he is a great teacher. I know plenty of Swahili to get by and they all expect us to be fluent by the time we leave. I truly hope so... its a way cool language!

We went to Bagamoro which is about 45 minutes out of Dar. The whole way there is trees and huts. It is really pretty. There we ate lunch and had a tour of all the historical sites. it was the first time I have ever seen the Indian Ocean. It was stunning. There was so much history here. We have also been to two museums. They are kinda boring to me but the other girls liked them. I have learned that I'm not much the museum girl..my attention span never lasts past the first president.

Yesterday, we spend the day at Sunrise beach. For some reason we are getting special treatment from the staff members. I think it is a mutual appreciation kind of thing. They usually don't take people to this beach but I am so over joyed they they did. Sunrise beach is a 5star resort that all the mzumgu's *white people* pay for. It was SO COOL. This was a vacation! The beaches are gorgeous. The sand is white and soft and the water is crystal clear. I wish I could upload my pictures because you would be amazed. I went swimming in a t-shirt and the water was so warm! We drank pepsi and relaxed...what a treat.

This morning, we went to church. By far one of the best experiences in my life thus far. the church was so pretty and the people were so happy! It was a combination of southern baptist and Lutheran. That's the best description. All the sudden there were lines of the choir singing and clapping down the aisle. I couldn't even understand one word but the energy was insane. I felt so alive and so blessed to experience it. I wish everyone could be in such a raw environment. You need to see it to believe it. God is good that's all a sister has to say haha.

Today is our last evening in the Hostel and they are treating us to dinner on the town tonight. I am a little hesitant but pleased to participate. These people are beyond inspiring. Tomorrow we are leaving to go to Arusha and our other coordinators are picking us up at the bus station. The real test will come in these next couple weeks!

I finally got around to writing myself a letter. I am writing another one when I leave and going to compare the two. I also wrote a list of goals and adventures I hope to complete.

Many people have been asking the basic questions of food and stuff so I am just going to rattle off a bunch of chaos. Food: not so great. I am not scared. I feel super safe with the staff and the local people. I watch my bag everywhere I go but i never feel unsafe. The saddest thing so far is probably being downtown. The disabled are VERY disabled and they are all alike. No hygiene, can't walk, and just out of it. Many people have sores and it is so sad. The other day I was sitting next to a small child and her mom and the girl had mouth sores. I felt helpless. They only thing I could do is pray. So far I have had running water and a bed. I sleep under a mosquito net, it actually comforts me. It is like a little cocoon, i think i might miss it! ha.

I am not too homesick. There has been times but honestly, I am so ecstatic to be here. I feel privileged and I hope everyone can do something like this. I'm still waiting to have that strong need to go home because I know it will come but so far...im money.

I think that is all for now. I would love to share intricate details but i just don't have the time to do that. I already have so many pictures and videos and can't wait to share my travels with you! Please keep up the prayers.. they have been working. Mimi nina penda rafiki. Next time you hear from me I will be in Arusha... yay! Thank you to those who have been emailing me. All the encouragement is so greatly appreciated. It truly makes me smile reading little pieces from home.

Sadiki.

BYE!!!!

ps: i just read my post through really quickly before I post it and I realized I said ''so'' loads of times. I will work on that next time!

1 comment:

tibor45 said...

Kates - glad you had the opportunity to share. What a great experience and education you will keep all your days. You are touching people on 2 continents now ... there and here too! I will pray for you and for all those you hold up in prayer too.
God bless my sweet!