Tuesday, October 9, 2007

i have pictures!

A group of men playing Bao in the market... very fun!
Driving home from the beach. I tried to get a good picture of the streets but you can't really see... ill work on that for next time!

Sunrise beach...gorgeous and very posh.


Meet Yoctan! Sweetest person alive. He is our teacher and rafiki. Nice outfit katie! ha.


I was sweating like a mad woman. This lady was nuts!




My bed with my mosquito net! It is sideways but you get the point.




This is Mali.. he is the safari guy.. very helpful!
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. The insects are just foul.




Me and the girls at the beach!


The food.. this is what I eat just about every meal. That's all. This is a good meal... enough said.



Howdy! I can finally upload some pictures! It is taking forever but I think it might work. I made it to Arusha...finally! ahhhh it was the L O N G E S T bus ride in my entire life. Our last night in the hostel, the staff took us out. Let me tell you it was the best night ever. We went dancing again at the local bar and I finally started getting the hang of it. These people can move their hips soo good its insane. ALL of them. I had an interesting experience with the so called "choo" which means toilet. There is no such thing as flushing toilets when you are in Africa. I'm still struggling with the squatting business and I had a difficult time when we were at dinner. There is bathrooms but they are more like squatting holes with pee all over the floor. It literally smells like ass! haha. Sorry for being vulgar but there is no other word that describes it better. Anyway, so make a long story short i had a skirt on and I dropped my underwear on the floor!!!!! it was the most rancid experience so far and the other girls were laughing at me the whole night. Now, I have forced myself to learn to squat and slowly I am mastering it. Hope this doesn't make anyone uncomfortable...i guarantee I am much more uncomfortable over here! Luckily, that event did not ruin my night. I learned to dance with the crazy drunk lady. You will see the picture of her; that says enough. She was very helpful though. Packing up and leaving the hostel was very sad. It actually felt like my new home and leaving right when you feel comfortable is difficult. I survived though and I am slowing adapting to every new environment.







The country side driving to Arusha was so beautiful. It was much better than Dar! There was trees and flowers and mountains! It was great! I got bored after the first 1500 trees and I was just ready to get to Arusha. Ten hours later we arrived and were greeting by very nice, new coordinators. They drove us to our host family. I am still with Marianne from Denmark...Thank GOODNESS. I can't imagine being alone. The family is very sweet; very shy. This is their first time hosting volunteers so I think all of us are a bit overwhelmed. Marianne and I both are experiencing culture shock all over again. I laugh when I am uncomfortable and I was literally praying the entire dinner to not laugh. Not that anything was funny but man... NO ONE was talking. I couldn't even look at Marianne because I would have lost all control. The food was actually pretty tasty although it was hard to enjoy because I could hear everyone at the table swallow. That's how silent it was. AWKWARD. After dinner we went to bed and I slept like a baby. The weather is soooooo much cooler and there are no mosquito's. Quite a few strange flying insects but I am getting used to them. Marianne and I can't figure out how to flush the toilet. right when we have a flushing toilet we cant even figure out how it works. I'm telling you, each hour here is a new adventure. It has been a lot of laughing, and the new term is "Welp, welcome to Africa!" Nothing comes to surprise here.






This morning was much more comfortable. I woke up to English rap. HAHAHAHAHAHa it was quite hilarious but I actually felt some comfort in it. I was very thankful for that. I showered and my host mama gave me a large bucket of hot water! I haven't felt hot water in over a week. It was such a pleasant treat! I ate some omelet sort of thing for breakfast. Then we walked about 2 miles to the meeting place to start our project. We met our director and he was very welcoming. It was nice! So today, we are resting and starting our project tomorrow. That is why I have time now to write. I get to interview 3 AIDS patients at the hospital tomorrow. I'm so excited but a little nervous.







I have figured out that this is going to a long 10 weeks. I feel like I have so many stories already; i can't imagine after three months. Culture shock is very strange... it gives you a very uneasy feeling and very vulnerable to all emotions. Luckily I have Marianne so we have been able to discuss every emotion. Again, ups and downs but all around a very educational, funny, and perhaps adventurous. I have learned to be more patient but still have a long way to go. The environment is very slow here and not much is organized. But, I still manage to love it.






That is all for now! I'm going to try and upload these pictures and videos. Hope all is well across the world!!!


My new favorite word is Amani. It means peace.. it has been my saving grace!








Kwaheri!

2 comments:

tibor45 said...

Kates - I love to read about your adventures. It helps me feel more in touch w/ you. Keep up the wonderful work. Amani!

unchained melody said...

Hey Kates! I love all your pictures! I'm so glad you're having a good time and doing well. I miss you a LOT, but hearing from you frequently really helps me feel closer to you. I love you, and we'll keep praying for you. xoxo