Monday, October 22, 2007

got goat?

This is gonna be quick and probably quite rubbish but I had a wonderful weekend!

We were invited to a wedding on Saturday...it was a christian wedding not Muslim like we thought! First we arrive and the bride and groom were on a massive tractor! That is what they show up in for the wedding. Then, we walk in and again are the only white people. They seated us front row RIGHT next to the family! We really couldn't understand what was being said but we suddenly realized it when we were announced one by one as special guests!! It was so funny but so embarrassing! They were all cheering and we didn't even know how to act! It was quite an honor though. I actually started getting teary eyed after a while because they were so welcoming even though they had no idea who we were. Since we were special guests, we received all the "special" ceremonious things that come along with the occasion. This was a Chagga Tribe wedding; they serve a a VERY dead goat, head fully intact, hooves tied together, charred hair, and parsley swaying in the burnt teeth. I hope you get the drift! The creature was on a silver platter and the chef came dancing in as it entered the building. Well, the VIP people (bride, groom, family....US) receive the honor of eating the goat in front of everyone one by one. As they called our names and shined the bright light on us we had to pay our respects and choke down this "meat". Again, I could not stop laughing. As the groom fed me, a piece flapped on my face before entering my mouth! It was as if I was chewing 13 pieces of Bazooka bubble gum! The taste was a mixture of the smell of horse and an ace bandage. Ha... it was quite a delicacy. It really was an experience that I will never forget. when I can upload pictures you can laugh with me!!

The rest of the wedding really was an honor. I don't think I will ever get that experience again and I VERY thankful for participating in an real African wedding.

Yesterday, I went on a walking safari in the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I am so sore today! Let me tell you, if you ever come to Africa you must do this. We we hiked to this gorgeous waterfall, ate lunch underneath it, walked across it, and explored! It was soooooo beautiful! It was so nice to be out of the city. It was so peaceful out there. We were surrounded by banana trees and coffee. We ate wild strawberries AND visited a real Chagga house. Then we tasted banana beer...it was so n-a-s-t-y. I added climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro on my list of things to do before I die. I hear it is miserable but worth it when it's over... exciting! Yesterday was very adventurous and I felt so alive! I can't think of any other way I would have wanted to spend my day. When I was underneath the waterfall I was soo grateful to be there at that exact moment. It felt as if nothing else was going on; a moment of complete bliss.

The longer and longer I am here the happier I am that I came alone. Although I miss many people I am learning so much about myself that I don't feel i would have been able to do if I was with close friends or family. It is the very vulnerable moments that I do the most growing. I am healing and actually allowing myself to be moved. Everything happens for a reason and I have great confidence that I am in the perfect place, at the perfect time. I have challenged myself and encourage everyone to do the same. No need to go as extreme but the small things add up to create very positive movement. I am afraid; feeling the fear and doing it anyway is a very powerful feeling. I am thankful I have learned this at such a young age however, I push people of all ages to create obstacles with intention. And, do it solo.

Anyway, this week is pretty normal. Teaching, playing, loving. We are going to a "kitchen party". I guess it is the night before the wedding when the bride is sent off. I am very anxious to check it out! Also, I am braiding my whole head. HAHA... should be very interesting and s-e-x-y. haha NOT.

hopealliswellaroundtheworld.love.

k a t i e

3 comments:

unchained melody said...

kates... that was such a great blog. thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am so proud of you, and I can truly hear the change in your voice. I love you always.

melody

Christina said...

kates! i love reading your blog...i can totally hear your voice when i'm reading them...it's totally you and i love it. but i can't find your email address...what is it again? i love you soooo much, and i'm so happy for you and your adventures!

love, "Chrissy"

kates in the 702 said...

hi chrissy! My email address is katesinafrica@gmail.com