Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Mambo vipi?

Jambo! I am pleased to annouce that I am finally in Africa! It has been one LONG day and there is so much to say. Please excuse my mispelled words and jubbled sentences because I am crammed for time but I want to share my experience so far. So today on the plane I was feelign a little homesick. I was tired, anxious, and nervous because the lonesomeness was really starting to set it. But, we arrived in Tanzania right when the Sun was rising. It was like God was saying look at my beautiful creation and find peace in what you are doing. That feeling was extremely comforting and I don't think I will ever forget that moment. As I was leaving the plance and walking towards passport checks, my heart was beating so fast I swear it could have jumped out of me. I wasn't scared, but I was most definitely uneasy about being in this foreign place. But, everything worked out. I did exactly as my coordinator said and looked for Yotam Bonifice who was holding a poster with my name on it. Finding him was like finding a gold mine. I was SO happy however I was still nervous. All the africans stare and they think are super rich. Anyhoo, we got in a van with torn seats, i swear flat tires, and no chance of AC. The heay here is so hot. I mean.... hot! Its like a hot tropical humid air that seriously makes my armpits leave sweatmark and that has never happened in my life. The drive from the airport to my hostel was about 30 min. It was sooooo strange. I was in complete culture shock. All around me was madness. The sides of the road were covered with people. All sorts of different black people. All thewomen were carrying baskets on their heads and babies on their backs. The men were riding bikes with stacks and stacks of eggs on the back of it. Small children were in uniform walking to class. The traffic was out of control and the people stared at me through the windows. It wasn't a scary feeling, they were jsut interested in me. The streets are covered with litter. I'm talking disgusting garbage. The first medic I saw read 1. AIDS 2. Mouth Sores 3. Chronic Malaria. It was that moment that I went ... holy Sh**. As we pulled off to a dirt road this old man hopped in the van. We call him Baba which means grandfather. He was so happy to see me that he couldnt' stop hugging me. It was cute but not gonna lie a little overwhelming. So we finally made it to the hostel and I was greeted my 5 other lovely volunteers. A couple from hawaii, and all the rest are girls. One from London, Denmark, and Seattle. It's been awesome. I am sharing a room with the Dutch woman. Anyway so i had my first Swahili lesson with my teacher Yoctan. He's the man. He is 23 and my height. He speaks great English and has had a very interesting life. I think he's infected but I don't dare ask. After a few hours of that we went to the Village Musuem. Besides the dreadful walk there the museum was great. It has all the villages and their huts and culture. I even saw wild monkeys and this group African dance with drums... the whole deal. It really was an adventure. Then we hopped on the Dala Dala. That is the local bus. By the way Yoctan is also our day time travel guide so we weren't alone. So we took the bus to the Carvers Market. I swear I felt like I was in a dream. I didn't think places like this existed. Think of the poorest street downtown and multiply it by 100. These people have nothing. The market sells arts and crafts and tourist gifts. I didn't buy anything because we are goign to city tomorrow and I dont want to waste money. My Swahili actuallu was okay! I have a long way to go but I actually had a few conversations. It is still strange because everyone stops, stares, and greets you. They are very friendly people and jsut want to talk. It's cool, but very intimidating at first.

I am so tired I can't even explain it. Its 8.20 pm here and I am abotu to hit the sack. Jet lag is no bueno. Oh! look up the Massai tribe on google. Those people really exist and they are fascinating. I saw so many of them and they are just like the books say. It really is very odd culture but beautiful in some strange way. The life stil here is polipoli. That means very slow.

It's an interesting world over here. It has been an interesting adventure so far. I have learned so much in these last 72 hours, I can't even imagine 3 months. ugh.. the thought of being dirty for 3 more months and missing home is not a good combo. I love what I am doing here but I do miss home. All the other volunteers said they went through the same thing on their first day. I'm sure it will pass... thanks for all the continuous thoughts and prayers. I can feel them even though I am 10000 miles away. Ill try and keep you updated as often as possible...

good night!!!!!

3 comments:

caitlinholmes said...

wow kate! i think i honestly just spent 30 minutes reading your last 3 posts...i can only imagine how many stories you're going to have at the end of the trip. you will be able to write a novel! its crazy to think that places im in shock reading about in national geographic really exist. i'm happy that you are getting the experience of a lifetime, minus the whole homesick thing, but just like you said, that will pass. and i'm also sorry to hear about the whole sweaty pits thing...believe me, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. anyways, take care of yourself and keep writing!!! love you raej

Juju said...

a hiiiii. I miss you like crazy!! This trip sounds so enlightening. I am so proud of you for doing this; it really is an amazing accomplishment. I love you and hang in there! and remember if you ever need someone to go back packing with...i'm down :) xoxox

Foto said...

@Juju: Amazing accomplishment? How? Please elaborate how coming to do volunteer work in 'Africa' as you all so fondly refer to it is such an amazing accomplishment? We've lived here for all our lives, our grandparents and their parents and theirs too were born here, lived here and are buried here, this is all we know and have lived. 'Africa' -as you so fondly refer to our individual countries- didnt come into existence when you found it, it was here way before that, and will still be here way after we are all long gone. Scared? Why? Is it all those cannibalistic stories that you see in Indiana Jones movies? P-L-E-A-S-E! Culture shock, yes, as with us in the 'developed' world! Gee.. talk about getting off the high horse!