Friday, November 2, 2007

nakupenda <3

First off... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY LITTLE AND JILLY! I miss you girls and wish I could celebrate with you!!!!!!!

I wasn't prepared to write a blog today but I have some extra time so I figured I might jot a few thoughts down. Life is going pretty well this week. I was sick.. again which really, really sucks. I am feeling better as of right now so lets hope it lasts! I have also been really really busy. We changed the schedule at the orphanage so i have been teaching every other day. On the off days, we help around the house. WE cook, scrub, dust, hand wash laundry, EVERYTHING. I am drained! I have learned to cook some African food; unfortunately, it doesn't taste very good so its not much to be proud of. Anyone interested in eating with their hands and not enjoying the food.. I'd be happy to cook for you!

I'm having serious brain farts. I can't think of things to say!

I did have lots of quiet time this week which was very pleasant. It has been a LONG time that I have actually been alone. We have a male volunteer that sleeps in the outside room. There is lots of space in there so when he is out, I take advantage of the other room. I never realized how important it was to have alone time. True peace and quiet. The room is very dirty, old, and kind of cell like haha but, ironically it has been the most peaceful place of all.

I forgot to mention that I carried cow poop in a bag on my head. I was hands and feet covered in cow poop. YUMMY! ha. Living Water orphanage has a vegetable garden and we were helping fertilize or something. Somehow I got pulled into helping and well.. it was a sick yet delightful adventure! Next time, I get the honor of milking the cows.. can't wait! hahaha. I have never seen kids so happy to play with poop. It was very ironic because it was right around Halloween in the states. Kids there are receiving candy, and kids here are shoveling fly infested feces. They were overjoyed though. They had so much fun and were laughing while literally crumbling up poop chunks and tossing it where ever necessary. It was a very humbling moment. As much as I missed Halloween, it made me really realize things that REALLY matter in life.

oh! And I had my first hot shower! it was the best thing in the universe. It was a tease though because who knows when i will get the next one!

Life is good..that's for sure. I feel sooo blessed to be alive, happy, and simply just figuring it out. I heard some devastating news that left me trembling. Rest in peace to all the victims of the recent shooting in Reno. Words cannot even express how much my heart aches for the witnesses, family, friends, EVERYONE. I hate violence and I really just don't understand it. I must admit i have been dealing with some survivors guilt since I have heard the news. I am very blessed and cannot express the sympathy I have for everyone involved. Life is just too short for tragic things like this...

Well, I hope all is well with everyone and anyone reading this. I am so used to this lifestyle that I almost forget what life at home is like. I miss you all. I hope you are finding joy in the simple things in life. Take a deep breath and realize how special YOU are.

God Bless your life today.

"It is OK to question yourself. In fact, are you living the life that you want to live???"

Do not fear yourself.

<3 kates

3 comments:

unchained melody said...

Hey Kates...

Thank you for the blog. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying things so much.

I find it a little ironic that this shooting occured in Reno while you are in Africa. You mentioned that you're experiencing some survivor's guilt. I know I cannot relate to what that exactly feels like, but I still want to point something out: Look at all that you're doing! It really proves that there IS life after tragedy. Not just ho-hum life that only exists buried under sorrows and trauma of the past, but life to the fullest, as demonstrated by YOU.

I know it must be difficult to hear about this happening to others, their families, the people who saw it happen. But it's a beautiful thing to see a survivor who allowed their life to be changed, and changed enough to make great differences in the lives of others'. I'm so proud.

i love you.
melody

Juju said...

Ahiiiii( i'd draw the picture but it doesn't work on a computer haha)
I had a dream that you came home last night. You were so happy and empowered by your experience!...and you had blonde hair hahaha I miss you!! It's funny that even though you are across the country, I'm still comforted by you when i'm struggling just by reading your blogs. You always have the best advice, and I really think that you are the most grounded person I know...even though it might not feel like it at times. You've endured sooo much and somehow still see the good things and rise above the bad. Keep doin your thing :) Love you! Have fun playing with the poo! haha xoxoxo Juju

48242216 said...

Hi Katie!
This is so cool to be able to write to you! I read your blog and glad to hear your doing well and enjoying things over there. The poo I could do without, but it's all part of the experience I guess. :) So proud of you and just want you to know that you are thought of, loved and the girls and I love what your doing over there! Your a blessing to sooooo many and to us.
Love you,
Aunt Joyce