Sunday, November 11, 2007

i'm addicted to adventure.

Yesterday was one of the most exhilarating, liberating, and adventurous days in my whole life. I have always wanted to go skydiving and I finally did! Check mark on my list of things to do before I die. Let me tell you, everyone should jump!

So, I was pretty freaking nervous starting. Honestly, I was more stoked than scared. I never was actually afraid which shocked me! Mike (the other volunteer) and I went. The bus to Moshi was about 2 hours long... it only created more anticipation! The company picked us up at the bus station and we were off! It was pretty surreal. Since this is something I have always dreamed off, I couldn't believe that sooner than later, the rush of actually completing it was going to happen. It was awesome.

Mike went first. Only one jumper at one time in this dinky little plane. Seriously, it looked like a toy plane. No seats besides the pilot, just enough room to barely squeeze three people in the back. Two staff jump at a time but only one is strapped to you. I watched Mike land and I was soooo excited! I never felt unsafe or unsure. I never once gave it a second thought; I was determined and simply ready! I put on my jump suit which is quite possibly the most unflattering get up I have ever worn! The funniest part was my "i love dad" pajama pants that I had to wear. I did laundry the day before and literally everything was soaked besides my pj's that say I love dad all over them. I had no choice and it was hilarious! Anyhoo, then I wore this funny looking hat. You really do not care; i actually felt pretty diver hip!

Taking off my stomach was in knots. I could not stop smiling! The staff were so cool and made you feel so safe. It took about 20 minutes to reach the jumping point. 10,000 feet in the air. There was a meter thing that measured when to stop. It goes to 10, we were at 1 when I though we should stop. My tandem started laughing at me! The whole 20 minutes I was just in awe. I was never hesitant, just super anxious. The view was stunning. Mt. Kilimanjaro was mostly covered in clouds but it was still spectacular...

My tandem started repeating to me what we had already rehearsed on the ground. I completely blanked and starting getting a little like ah... ok! After a few minutes the door flew open. That was the worst part of the whole dive. You can feel the air and my heart was pounding soooooo fast. The videographer literally climbed underneath the wing of the plane and just hung there. He looked at me and gave me a devious smile. You know he was thinking mu hahahah! My tandem and i scooted to the edge and my legs were just dangling! The ground was just green and brown squares. All my senses were on over load. My whole body was just like ahhhhh!!! Then we jumped!!! Let me tell you...

IT WAS EUPHORIC!

I previously asked my tandem to do some flips and spins so we did! It was incredible. We free falled for about 35 seconds at 120 MPH. INSANE! All you can see in open skies, clouds, blue, green. I felt like Rose in Titanic when she opens her arms on the front of the boat, only better. It went by so fast! He pulled the chute and it was soooo relaxing. My adrenaline was still to the max and I hadn't peed my pants so I was good to go. It was like I was flying. He let me hold the parachute. It was so liberating. I felt like I could do anything and go anywhere! It was far different than anything I have ever experienced. Fear was never involved; only pure satisfaction.

Landing was so easy. The tandem does all the work! I was kinda hoping to have some really intense land but it was so easy! He said put your legs up. Then stand. All the sudden I was back on solid ground. The first thing that I said was "Let's do it again!".

I highly advise anyone and everyone to do this. It has become my new obsession. I talked the staff about how to get trained! Ironically, one of the guys had worked in Vegas... how strange! I am seriously looking into becoming a professional diver; perfect weekend and summer job. I can only do the video though because I am too small to be a tandem. But, they travel all over the world and do this. It would pay for my travel addiction, and I would be paid to jump. I can't think of anything better! It's a far ambition but completely doable. After this trip, I feel like anything is possible...

This leads me to a whole new topic and goals. Before my trip, i was lost. I had no real ambition to do anything and felt like I had no direction. Knowing that, I felt pretty desperate to figure it out. I had high hopes in my self discovery and I am slowing finding answers. I have discovered how important being independent is; knowing that you can accomplish things alone is very motivating. I really want to be a elementary school teacher. I know its alot of work but I believe if you are passionate about children, you can learn to love it and make such a difference. Also, traveling is my number one. And I have learned that you don't have to be rich to travel. I'm a struggling college student but still managed to save for this amazing trip. Who says I can't do it again? By the time I am 30, I want to have my masters and PHD. I know it seems extreme, but I am a changed woman and I KNOW I can do it. I am in no rush. MY career is not my only ambition. I think that society pressures this age group to get an education ASAP and find a job, husband, and start a family. As this is a goal of mine, I am in NO rush. I feel like I am learning so much and I refuse to look back and say I wish I would have enjoyed the opportunity when I had it.

Honestly, I KNOW I will never stop this lifestyle. Even when I do have a family and a career. Knowing that this is my passion, nothing will stop me and I don't think anything should. It is possible to share this with my kids and husband but still have a career and everything that I desire. The only person that used to tell me I couldn't was myself. Now that I have proved myself wrong, I am addicted. I feel alive and I never want that to change. A door has been opened and will never shut. I feel like I understand life so much better; actually, I understand Katie. I don't think I really knew who Katie was and now I do. Now, I know that I want to do and how to do it. SO, traveling and learning is something that I will forever do. I will be the family that works hard but plays hard. I've learned how important that is and can't wait to share this with someone else.

I want to share it with everyone. I know everyone doesn't have the same ambitions and goals as me, but I think many people are driven by fear. Fear of failure; I know I was and I still do but I'm allowing myself to face them and it is liberating. I can't describe the satisfaction I have received by just letting myself live. Its hard to believe that I was unhappy...

I hope all these blogs don't come across like I am some saint or some philosophical, dreamer like achiever. I don't write these to hear others compliment it; I write these because my heart tells me too. (sounds cheesy but true! ) I can't express the passion I have gained; more than that I can't express the strong desire that I want others to feel this way too. I want nothing more than to hear someone else say these same words. I truly am humbled and feel very blessed. Finally, regarding my ambitions, I don't care about what anyone thinks; I only pray that others can reach that same point. Life is way too short to not live it.

Dance while you can.

1 comment:

freddie said...

These blogs of yours have ministered to me and inspired me deeply. Thank you for writing them! I love you and anxiously await your return.