Tuesday, October 12, 2010

color.

Webster defines color as:

1. That aspect of things that is caused by differing qualities of the light reflected or emitted by them, definable in terms of the observer or of the light, as:
a. The appearance of objects or light sources described in terms of the individual's perception of them, involving hue, lightness, and saturation for objects and hue, brightness, and saturation for light sources.
b. The characteristics of light by which the individual is made aware of objects or light sources through the receptors of the eye, described in terms of dominant wavelength, luminance, and purity

I was engaged in some insightful reading yesterday; while reading I was flirting with the idea and interpretations of color. Now, I was reading inadvertently about color, but my mind was racing. I began to think basic. What are some brilliant colors? I jotted down a quick list of things with vibrant pigments.

-a child's finished finger paint
-Autumn leaves
-a homemade Christmas stocking (like the one my mom made for my dad)
-parrots
-confetti cupcakes (yum!)
-Mardi Gras

I was trying to understand the written words, "The heavens declare the the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." Psalm 19:1

It's pretty friggin' inconceivable how much color is all around me; planned and perfected just for human kind to marvel at it's amazing adorableness. It's a shame at how often it's taken for granite. I started thinking of color in people. Not contrasting skin tones, but unique experiences in each individual that create a "colorful" past. I was intrigued that the definition of color states "in terms of the individuals perspective". What is your perspective of color beyond the norm?

I was trying to capture each rapid thought like a photographer captures the perfect shot. I couldn't. I still can't. All I know is that I'm thankful for the physical colors planted around me, and gratified by my own colorful past. I admire the brilliance and pray to continually applaud the creator of such splendor.

I hope I never lose appreciation for the "individual perception" of the wavelength composition, we call color.

2 comments:

kelly said...

you know, some people actually meditate on colors. very interesting in regards to what you're saying here. each of the chakras in our bodies are represented by a color as well. i know...probably sounds a little hooey, but seriously cool stuff! love you! one week!

Carla Jozsa said...

katie koo koo-
LOVE your thoughts on color.
in-sight-ful...

You're outrageoous life experiences are serving you well. You're open to the process of extracting great wisdom through them---you're clearly allowing the words of the Holy Spirit to enter your heart and mind. God's mighty hand has moved greatly in your life (and mine), and it hasn't always been comfortable, to say the least. As for MY own personal experiences, I would not trade even one of them. They've ALL been gifts given for the purpose of blessing.
You will be changing many lives for the better with your wisdom. When you have time, read the first chapter of Ephesians. Paul asks God to give the people of that region "the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation". Which simply means that he wanted God to reveal secrets of His Love and Wisdom to the people. If you keep reading, you'll get to see HOW powerful the knowledge of that love is. I have prayed that verse on behalf of myself, dad and you girls for years. It's wonderful to know that the Lover of ALL has not only listened to my requests, but has responded to them with such abundance. My girls are truly wise.
Yesterday I taped a little saying that Gamma gave me long ago to the inside of my lap top, so I see it every time I sit at my PC. It says:

When we start to count flowers, we cease to count weeds.
When we start to count blessings,
we cease to count needs.
When we start to count laughter,
we cease to count tears,
When we count happy memories,
we cease to count years.

HAVE AN AMAZING DAY! OXO