Sunday, September 5, 2010

Charlie St. Cloud

My Sunday afternoon left my heart satisfied and a large lump in my throat. As Luke sat browsing the web I eagerly flipped the pages of an almost complete book, Charlie St. Cloud. I saw this book at Mccarren Airport getting ready to leave for London. I went to the newsstand to get some water and gummy bears and the dreamy Zac Efron caught my eye as I passed the novels. I realized I forgot some books and wanted to buy one to keep me busy during our travels. Prior to departure day I had seen previews for this book as a motion picture film staring Mr. Efron. I looked for more interesting books but somehow, this book was my final selection. Nearly a month later and pages flipped in each country, the book has come to an end. And I sit here with one butt check asleep, compelled to share.

This movie may be out in the States, I have no idea. Perhaps the movie sucked, but the book was worth reading. It’s a story about life and death, siblings, love, and diving for dreams. Right up my alley right? Being a deep person myself, I love reading books like this; I like thinking of the author and the journey it took to write such drama. The creation of the characters, the setting, the sequence of the beginning, middle, and end and desire to make the novel flow and move the audience. It interests me. This book wasn’t one of those books that EVERYONE must read, but it was easy, took me below the surface, and made me extremely grateful for siblings, falling in love, and living my dreams.

I guess it brings me to think about my own life or death experiences. Although my first breakup felt life or death, February 24th 2006 was quite a bit more agonizing. Several times throughout this book, I felt quite depressed. The author evokes real emotions about handling death, trauma, and grieving. I hate to give away the end for potential Ben Sherwood readers but it left me feeling grateful for my own life or death experience, being shot in the face. I’m thankful for the “second chance” you may call it or the darn right miracle for still existing. Now, I sit cozy on my new couch sipping lemon tea enjoying each inhale and exhale.

It’s pretty crazy how life works out. I always assume I have it figured out just in time to realize I’m still completely clueless. I spend so much time trying to find the answers or solutions when the answer is in the unknown. My life journey has been a continuous surprise and I can only imagine what God has in store for my future…

Even throughout this incredible traveling adventure, my soul clings to the deep stuff. You know, the couple hugging at the ocean, or the girl crying at St. Peters Basilica. I can’t help but wonder and think beyond the surface level stuff. Sometimes I wish I could just turn off my deep thinking cap, but then I realized I’d miss so much on what life is offering me. This book, it was a thinker alright, but I appreciated it. I admire the author for his unique talent and his bizarre thoughts; I’m humbled by the thankfulness he created in me this quiet, rainy, Sunday afternoon in Galway.

Whoa, okay. Can you tell my Sunday has been wonderful? It may appear that I’m a bit glum but I’m not. I’m perfectly content and honest. Today has been a great day. We slept in, made breakfast, and went on a run. It was sooo nice to move and feel the fresh salt water air on my skin. As I blasted “Boots with the Fur” and “Sexy Back” I smiled at fellow runners, walkers, and sitters (those on benches, ha). Galway is BEAUTIFUL! I feel so blessed to be here and share this experience with Luke while growing as individuals. After our run we returned to our new home, made lunch, and I started reading. I finished my book and he now he is reading it. I’m excited to talk about it with him and share our personal thoughts on the paperback. I’m enjoying my sweats, tea, and the light rain out my window.

Yesterday was also a relaxing and enjoyable day. We moved into our new place on Friday but we had no food here. A home with no food is no home at all. Let me hear an amen! Ha. So, we walked along the Oceanside to town, only a 20 minute walk or so. We stumbled across a farmers market! Since we were already shopping for fruits and veggies we got them there. It was sooo cool! We still needed some other food items so we made our way to the grocery store, finished our shopping, and began to walk home. The weather was the best. It was bright and sunny but not hot at all. You could tell whole town wanted to be outside; everyone was cheerful. As we were leaving we said, “we are in no rush, let’s grab a Guiness!” And that is just what we did…

After walking back home and unpacking our grocery’s, we made lunch with our fresh produce and then took a walk on the beach. You couldn’t get enough of the sun and ocean, it was so fresh! Our place is literally steps from the water too, so it helps. The sun started to set and it became a bit chilly so we walked back and collected seashells from the sand. We were eager to cook our first meal in our place so we set the tunes, lit the candles, poured the wine, and started cooking. It was a tasty, healthy meal, perfect first feast.

Okay there is our perfect weekend, which is probably making everyone jealous! Sorry, not our intention. We are still feeling like we are dreaming ourselves. Now, I’m going cook meal number 2 and prepare for my first day of school tomorrow! I’ll fill you in regarding my new school, staff, and students. Ahhhh!!

Ps, for those who were wondering, I passed my Praxis 2, YAY!!

Always,

K J







I'd put more up but our internet is so strange here. Facebook has way more photos so tune in there. Thanks!

2 comments:

kelly said...

i can hear your passion. i know it well. thanks for sharing :) xoxo-sister

Kaila Wood said...

I love love love reading your blog!