Thursday, September 9, 2010

Calling all teachers!!!

As you know from the last blog, I started school on Monday. It’s Thursday now and I’m pooped! I have little energy but several people have been asking about my student teaching so I thought I should share! It’s going well so far; it’s very different than what I expected so I’ve been trying to adjust to the chaotic feeling that’s going on inside of me. Everything feels foreign to me, the clothing, teaching styles, the students, the behavior plans, and even the staff members. Not in a bad way, but it will take some adjustments to finally feel settled in. I’m enjoying the change and embracing the challenge.

We all have been in those uncomfortable situations. They suck balls. And, if you’re a teacher or an education student, you know how evil teachers lounges can be. Well, try walking in to a new school Monday morning in a foreign country, wet from the rain, and not a clue what to expect. Luke walked me to school my first day and I felt like I little kid leaving Dad and getting on the bus for the first time. It was scary and I had that knot in my stomach all day. However, I survived and was warmly welcomed by all the staff and students. I have tried to fully immerse myself and put myself out there and it seems to be working so far.

Okay, so here’s the deal. Although I am an Elementary Education major, it doesn’t exactly mean I’m teaching elementary school. Actually I’m teaching ages 12-20, all in which are special needs students. The subjects are math, English, Science, Social studies, and Environmental studies. For non-educators, this is not exactly something I have been fully trained for. They placed me here because the curriculum is at the primary (elementary) level. Since I have never had experience teaching middle school, or special education students, you can see the challenge. However, they make me laugh! Holy smokes, they are hilarious. At first, I was scared and apprehensive and actually quite frustrated because I didn’t think I would benefit as an elementary school teacher in the future. Regardless, teaching is teaching no matter what the students needs are or how old they are. I have already learned so much in 4 days and been pushed in ways I never would in my comfortable third grade class back home. So, I’m so grateful for the challenge and look forward to experiencing tremendous growth as a future educator. Here’s some of my students who bring me smiles every time I walk in the door…


Meet Maeve <3





With that said, I need suggestions and help from all teachers out there. All of my books and resources are back home so I am desperate for things I can’t find on the Internet. I switch classrooms, students, and mentor teachers, almost every hour. And, I start teaching 100% on my own next week with out the teacher even present in the room. Yowza. I’ve been observing this week, and next week, I’m fully responsible. I’m excited and already been planning but it’s difficult with so many subjects. Okay, how can you help? Right now, I’m trying to focus on really get to know the students before I dive into the curriculum. For those of you that have experience working with non-readers, non-writers, Down’s Syndrome, severe behavior problems, psychological disorders, and all types of learning disorders, please feed me suggestions on activities they may like. I have done my research already and had some experience but it never hurts to ask for help. I’m looking for a good warm-up and closing activity to implement everyday that all students can benefit from. You can email me at katiejozsa@gmail.com with any advice. I’m open to it all! Thanks!

It probably sounds like I’m a basket case but I’m actually feeling pretty confident. I learned that its okay to feel insecure and most certainly okay to reach out for help. Like I said, I’m here to learn so I’m willing to take some risks and put myself out there!

Although teaching has consumed my life this week, I still enjoy walking in the door and saying, “Honey, I’m home!” Luke has been a little houseman this week. He’s been doing laundry, cleaning, making me breakfast, and running errands. It won’t last long though because he went to Dublin yesterday for a job seminar and has begun job searching. Soon, we will both be super busy! At night we have been enjoying making dinner together, playing cards, reading, and enjoying the silence. We don’t have a TV so we are relying on alternative methods of entertainment. It’s actually quite nice and peaceful.

This weekend we are attending the annual Oyster Festival held in Galway and visiting the Cliffs of Moher on Sunday. I’m looking forward for two days to recoup after this week. Thanks again and sorry for the lack of enthusiasm, I’m just super tired! I promise, I’m loving this experience and I LOVE my students (most of them, not the bratty pimply ones)!

Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you for those who have been supporting us. I have received numerous emails and facebook messages from people who are following us on this journey. I hope you know how thankful and blessed we feel and appreciate all the kind words and support. I apologize if I haven’t gotten back to you but please know that you are cherished and we sincerely admire your generosity. We need all the prayers and support to really make the most of this. Thanks a million!

Okay, it’s dinna time and I’m hungry!! I’ll try and update after the weekend is over. I know I promised pictures, I’m working on it :]

Bye bye!

2 comments:

unchained melody said...

Kates. First, thank you for taking the time to update us all. I know you must be exhausted.

Second, I am SOOO stinkin' proud of you! That takes some HUGE BALLS to do what you're doing. I would not have even a clue where to begin with the situations you described. But I'm encouraged by the combination of both confidence and humility I hear in your voice. I know you will kick butt and that you will just learn a TON. If anyone can walk into that situation and make it amazing, it's YOU.

Missing you like craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. I can't wait to see you, sister.

GULP... lump... in... throat.

haha i love you.
mel

cokala said...

Kate! I'm going to send this link to my friend Melissa. She teaches Elem. Special Ed in town and dual majored in it. She's full of those amazing little tips that help sooo much.

Also, you are awe inspiring! Keep being the amazing person you are and you will just shine so brightly, I just know it!