Tuesday, December 7, 2010

pink and roll. SPORTS EDITION.


Current tunes: ESPN Radio The Scott Van Pelt Show

It's obvious I live with a man. Not just a man but a sports fanatic man. Sports, sports, did I mention sports? I've learned that there is a trade off; he makes my eggs, if he gets to listen to sports while standing over the skillet. It's all about the compromise, right?

When I think maybe he burnt the toast, really he's just upset that the Chiefs are down, or excited that the Rebels are still 8-0. It could be good, or bad, it's still this deep down Tim Allen sort of growl or belch or yelp. When I think he's listening, he's really just staring at me counting stats, and, I sound like Charlie Brown to his ears. He thinks he's cute when he mumbles, "Yes, Love, I understand." HA. I'm no fool, dude, I know your tactics all too well.

I mean, I like sports, I do! I like to look at Erin Andrews apparel, and I have to brag I do know what a pink and roll is, opps, I mean a pick and roll. And, I must confess, I do stand up from time to time, pound my chest, and yell, "Get big son!!!", when I see a nice tackle. (I learned that from Luke). I've learned to mock the sportscasters (especially Dick Vitale, "Awesome baby, with a capital A!"), laugh with Mike and Mike in the morning, or get rowdy watching PTI.

However, no joke, first thing in the morning, or the last thing before bed, it's SPORTS. The computer automatically opens ESPN when I start my safari. Our conversation Tuesday morning begins with the winning spread or the BSC bowl predictions. I'm jealous of Lebron James; not because of his mad talent, but my fiance has a major man crush. I mean really, you know there is a problem when Luke said we weren't allowed to get married in March because the reception could interfere with the March Madness mayhem.

When we lived in the states, I thought basketball, football, baseball, UFC, golf, soccer, and any olympic sport was enough to keep him occupied. NOW, my dear love has a new interest in hurling, rugby, gaelic football, and soccer, in addition to the American sports. HELP!

I really can't complain though; he doesn't get upset when I blush over Tom Brady or drool when David Beckham removes his jersey. We enjoy drinking beer and eating brats (especially cheesy spicy ones!). He makes me feel like I'm "one of the guys", even if I don't know what a two-minute drill is. We enjoy creating touch down dances and watching the ESPN Make a Wish Foundation videos. We buy jerseys for each other at Christmas, and get giddy when we know we are attending a sporting event. I have a confession: I pretend like I'm not interested, but sometimes I yell louder than he does on the couch, or as of late, while watching game cast.


Fun Fact: Luke just informed me that Lebron makes 35,ooo bills in 8 minutes of play. I will make that in one year of teaching. REALLY?!

Oh my, this was fun. As much as I make fun of his obsession, it's one of my favorite things about him. Luke, thanks for teaching me, being patient, and thinking I'm cute when I'm clueless. You're as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Ps: Chiefs haven't locked up their division yet; I guess we'll have to keep wearing our rally caps.



-ka ka ka KATIE.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the Stuart Scott quote at the end lol. You need to teach Danielle to like sports, she doesn't even try :(

Carla Jozsa said...

you can write, girl!!!!!

Tip said...

Kates - great writing! Mom is stuck with the same kinda guy. The good news ... it can work, the bad news ... always gotta compromise. Our solution ... gotta have 2 TVs in the house. Consider the alternative ... what if Luke was fanatical about the design channel? HGTV? The Shoe Channel? Ladies Fashion Update (it's always changing! {pun intended if you got it}). I'm making some up here, but I think you get the idea.
Until Jared, Freddie, and Luke came along, I was out-numbered and out-gunned, but now my team is growing stronger so watch us now ladies. I'm lovin' it!

jessworthen said...

kates-you are such a good writer-i LOVE reading your blog!! cant wait to see you in a coupld of days!! love you!